Finding access to deep, innate wellspring of compassion

Tibetan Buddhist teacher Pema Chödrön wrote:

"In order to have compassion for others, we have to have compassion for ourselves. In particular, to care about other people who are fearful, angry, jealous, overpowered by addictions of all kinds, arrogant, proud, miserly, selfish, mean--you name it--to have compassion and to care for these
people means not to run from the pain of finding these things in ourselves."

But why should we seek to take the counterintuitive step of embracing darkness and pain? The answer is simple: Doing so gives us access to our deep, innate wellspring of compassion. And from this compassion will naturally flow wise actions in service of others--actions undertaken not from guilt, anger, or self-righteousness but as the spontaneous outpouring of our hearts.

Tags: anger, compassion, pain

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been doing daily yoga classes now for almost 90 days. Most of them are restorative but some are more active. I find I go through emotions or remember something very rapidly in a way. I get a powerful shot of self pity and staying in the pose am washed by compassion for the me that had to suffer or was hurt. Then by the end of class I feel so much love for the teacher, and the other people in class, I am amazed. It has taken only this long to be able to touch my hands together behind my back after my double masetectomy. I am very grateful to yoga, to yoga bear and to my studio yoga home.
Mara, Beautifully written and so inspiring. I am grateful to YOU for your post.

RSS

Our Mission

Yoga Bear is a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting cancer fighters and survivors with free access to the benefits of healing yoga.

Free Online Yoga

We hope you enjoy the videos!

© 2014   Created by Yoga Bear.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service