Hi all (following Jean Di Carlo Wagner's suggestion and starting a discussion),

I'm hoping to take a training to teach cancer survivors some time this year. But I've also noticed a training program for Yoga Therapy that I'm interested in. In your opinion and experience, is teaching cancer survivors just a more specific form of Yoga Therapy? Would I benefit from taking both trainings?  
And if you could give some input as to how you came to teach survivors that would be great!

peace,
Liz.

Tags: cancer, survivors, teaching, therapy, yoga

Views: 91

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am a breast cancer survivor of 3 years and have a passion to teach full time to other survivors and cancer patients. I don't know how to get started. I've been taking yoga for the past 3 years and would like to take a teacher training course for my certificate. My problem is that it's very expensive and I am struggling financially because of my cancer treatment bills. I don't know how I can get started. I live in Burbank Ca. Does anyone have any ideas. I would appreciate any help I can get. It's not easy at 51 years old starting life over again. I would like to teach 50 and over cancer patients as well as those that would like to learn yoga. Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully Jean de Carlo Wagner will see my blog.
> Namaste
> Debbie Levray
Dear Debra,
No doubt that cancer takes a toll financially, emotionally and physically. Yet, many of 'us' have started over at 50 and feel a new zest and passion for giving back and a life time of learning to keep us 'young at heart'.
You might consider 'Silver Age Yoga' training in San Diego. Their adaptive approach to teaching is well suited to yoga for cancer survivors. Follow the blog about Frank Iszak or google "Silver Age Yoga". Attend a yoga for cancer survivors yoga class, offer to be an assistant, and begin getting experience while you 'wait' to attend training. The LA Chapter of Yoga Bear is very active, and good people can offer their suggestions to you in person:) Please write me if I can be of any further assistance. Set your intention, take steps toward achieving your intention and expect that this will open for you. Blessings, Jean
Thank you so much for the advise. I'm going to get in touch with Silver as soon as possible.

Debbie Levray
hi debbie,
if you've never taken a basic yoga training, you may see if there are work trade opportunities available at the place where you want to take your training. or any scholarships. esp. if people know the kind of work you want to do, and your sincerity, you never know?!

also, i just taught a teacher training for other yogis who want to work with cancer survivors and one woman had secured funding in advance from organizations in her community. so check around for grant opportunities - there are things out there and people looking to give money to good causes (like you!). the live strong foundation offers community grants for this sort of thing.

good luck!
Dear Debbie,

Namaskar

I have read your letter with interest.

Before we begin our conversation, let me introduce myself to you. I took a nine month long two hours a day, five day week certified diploma training course in yoga, ayurveda, philosophy of yoga, physiology and anatomy of yoga at Sir Sayajirao Institute of Yoga in Baroda, India in 1999 after I developed sciatica. During this course my sciatica was cured and since then I have developed a passion for teaching yoga.

While this diploma course had equipped me with enough knowledge to help cancer survivors, it did not give me confidence needed to claim some substantial results because this training like most American yoga training focused on Hatha Yoga.

However, I found a dramatic change in my own practice and teaching after following the techniques of Pranayama and Asanas popularized by Yoga Maharishi Swami Ram Dev (popularly known as Baba Ramdev), that I have been following for the last five years in my classes that are conducted every day (except Sundays) from 5.30 to 6.30 a.m. in Baroda. To my great surprise, some of those who attend these classes regularly have been completely cured of asthma, sciatica, and a few other ailments. As I teach these classes not for living, I charge no fees and accept no gifts for teaching this science of yoga.

I do not claim any cures for cancer through the techniques prescribed by Baba Ramdev. However, I would strongly recommend you to find enough medical evidence regarding this at the website of Swami Ram Dev at: http://www.divyayoga.com It is the science of Pranayama that has made a big change. Interestingly, this science can be learnt within a few lessons, though under the guidance of a trained teacher.

We have recently migrated to California on a green card and are trying to connect with like-minded people. I am thankful to YogaBEER for connecting me with people like you. You may visit my blog on yoga at: http://yogaom.info for the Pranaymas that I have mentioned above as also for questions like why and how does it cure diseases like diabetes, asthma, etc. As I am a retiree and live in Simi Valley, I would suggest that we should meet. In case you wish to learn these breathing exercises, you may contact me at my Cell phone: 510-323-5302 without any obligations. With best wishes, Om Juneja, Ph.D. (Emeritus Professor of English).

I have now migrated to California
I'm trying to find a yoga therapy class for cancer survivors near my home in Connecticut, Is there anybody out there???
Hi Julie,
Can you email me directly so that we can figure something out for you? my email is liz @ yogabear.org (without the spaces). I am the studio coordinator for NY, NJ and CT.
peace,
Liz.

RSS

Our Mission

Yoga Bear is a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting cancer fighters and survivors with free access to the benefits of healing yoga.

Free Online Yoga

We hope you enjoy the videos!

© 2014   Created by Yoga Bear.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service