Hi,
I am currently undergoing chemo for breast cancer, I have 3 more treatments that will end in March, followed by radiation and then hormane therapy, and then finish out the year (2010) with Herceptin.
I was an beginner/intermediate yogi after I had my child 2.5 years ago, and have not practiced yet since the diagnosis in October.
I have not been successful with finding a class to attend for someone in my situation, so I would love to try at home to get going with it again, on the days I have the strength.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you, Thank you!!!

Views: 558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jessica--

Glad you asked and there's a couple of good ones that I'd recommend:

"Healing Yoga for Aches and Pains" and "Healing Yoga for Common Conditions" with Charles & Lisa Matkin. If you are a Netflix subscriber, these are also available for streaming or to watch on-demand in addition to DVD.

"Yoga for Stress" with Dr. Baxter Bell, a teacher in the SF area, is a great one for getting back into yoga

Though I haven't tried his DVDs, I would highly recommend any of the Yoga Journal DVDs with Jason Crandell, as I have found him to be a terrific teacher and very good about sequencing, breaking down poses with different options, with an emphasis on breathing and staying as relaxed as possible in every pose, be it an easy or more challenging position.

Hope this is helpful to you! Let me know how it goes; always happy to pass on other recommendations.

Namaste,

Megan
Great Megan, thank you for your quick response. I am for sure going to try some of your suggestions. I was hoping for one that was for cancer paitients, going through treatments, but that might be hard to come by, or non-existant. Let mek now if you know of anything in that world.
Thanks girl,
Namaste,
Jessica
Hi Jessica,
You might like Susan Rosen's video especially for breast cancer survivors; she works here in San Diego at Kaiser and is a breast cancer survivor.
http://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Yoga-Breast-Cancer-Survivors/dp/B00006...

As a colon cancer survivor, I encourage you to go slowly and allow yourself to be just where you are. You've had a lot happen in 2.5 years.

I am also working on some short, gentle 10 minute videos for this site.

You are in a great place to ask questions, get support and connect with others!
Blessings ,
Jean
Jessica,

I have a recommendation that might be helpful. I would suggest Gentle Yoga for Recovery and Beyond by Camille Kittrell of Exclusive Yoga in Waltham, MA. Camille has a teaching practice specifically for breast cancer patients and does wonderful work. She does teacher training as well. Her website is www.exclusiveyoga.com. I believe she was also doing a new DVD. I am sure she would be happy to help with any other recommendations/resources.

Take good care of yourself.

Kathy Koenig, MS, RYT
Hi Jessica,

The exlusive yoga DVD is the only one I am aware of for cancer patients. (There is one in VHS format, as someone else mentioned, and a couple of books.)

I am working on resources for gentler yoga options and am gradually trying different DVDs.
I agree with the suggestion of the "Yoga for Stress" video with Dr. Baxter Bell. It's quite.
With the Matkins' DVDs, I personally prefer the "Healing Yoga for Aches and Pains" DVD over the "Healing Yoga for Common Conditions" one.
"Hemalayaa: Yoga for Everyone", which is surprisingly nice from heart and joy (but possibly too active to start with)
"Yoga: Gentle Practice" with Zyrka Landwijt is nicely done and has some good options
"Kripalu Yoga: Gentle" with Sudha Carolyn Lundeen had two nicely thought out practices (but possibly too active to start with)

If these appear too strenuous or not what you're looking for, let me know. I have some gentler DVDs and chair yoga DVDs that might be very helpful, and I have several more to try out in all categories.

If you enjoy restorative practice (and have blankets and pillows or bolsters), I recommend "Restorative Yoga Practice" with Deborah Donahoe of the few restorative DVDs I've tried. I also recommend the Therapeutic Yoga Kit (which has a book, CD and practice cards).

~suzanne
Hi Jessica,

There is a wonderful 7-practice set called Yoga for Cancer Survivors produced by people who have done considerable research on the benefits of yoga for cancer patients and survivors. I've watched the DVDs -- they are very gentle and relaxing, and the production values are good.

It's not widely available, but you can get the set for $29.95 at
http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Items/DVYCS.aspx

Take care,
Kelly
Hi again,

I switched focus and spent some more time working on the relevant resource page. The start of the draft is at http://ARedLotus.org/community/canceryoga.html . It includes several DVDs and other resources, with many new ideas. Hopefully, many more resources will be added soon.

~suzanne
Hi everyone - I am new to Yoga Bear and recently produced a video called Yoga for Breast Cancer, which is exclusively designed for women who are survivors. I created it for my mother, a 22 year survivor, who is now dealing with all the stresses that years of medications and metastases can bring since I couldn't find one to buy! It can be purchased at http://www.yogaforcancer.com, and we are also donating 10% (or more) of all videos produced to treatment centers, hospitals, studios, anyone who wants to spread the yoga love! Please email me at info@yogaforcancer.com if you have a place that could benefit from a donated video, or visit the website for a personal copy. I am so excited to find this great network of women who are excited about yoga and its healing properties!

Namaste -
Kate

RSS

Our Mission

Yoga Bear is a non-profit organization dedicated to connecting cancer fighters and survivors with free access to the benefits of healing yoga.

Free Online Yoga

We hope you enjoy the videos!

© 2014   Created by Yoga Bear.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service