Hi Jean,

We have communicated recently. I love the initiative to share our ways of being yoga instructors for cancer patients and survivors.I have been teaching a restorative yoga(a relaxing yoga using props such as pillows, blankets,straps, blocks, music to comfortably relax into a pose). I started as a yoga instructor back in October 2009. It has been my favorite class and it has given me such reward.The individuals have been very grateful and truly seem to feel much better once they leave the class.I usually have the class for about an hour and a half. Sometimes, I have a Guided Meditation Coach come in to complete the last "resting pose" using guided meditation. Furthermore, I just spoke with a musician who plays the harp as well as the flute who will be coming in to play the background music as we breath and move into the restorative poses and intend on using guided imaginery meditation.I am implementing other programs for cancer wellnesss such as a raw food diet that could be used as a supplement for those going thru a rough treatment which causes an adjustment within their diets. This class has given more freedom to be creative and innovative as I am given the gift of them sharing their convictions.I am the one honored.There have been other exciting times as well when I shared a "pampered party" along with Mary Kay cosmetics who came to the studio and gave complementary "satin hands and lips".There were door prizes and refreshments open to any cancer patient and survivor of the community. When I look back at the shared moments. I can feel joy and look forward to the next class. Next March I am working on a yoga retreat to Negril,Jamaica.I have the place and plans envisioned.Now, I am moving forward to allow this wonderful event to unfold. I look forward to reading other's way of being with our sisters and brothers that cope with cancer.

Namaste,

Nina

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Nina,
Thank you for sharing your ideas and your passion! How innovative! I am already feeling a community of teachers forming....it's wonderful! Keep the ideas coming! I am going to think of some visitors that could bring music to the YCS class! Blessings, Jean
Dear Jean,
Last night was the first meditation using live music I was blessed to attend. What a euphoric feeling! The energy is effervescent and just beautiful.I strongly encourage any yoga instructors to bring in the talent and beauty of this magic within their space to unfold.........What a great gift to share with others.
Namaste,
Nina
Hi Nina,
I haven't found a musician yet, but I did have a massage therapist come in and my students melted into relaxation! I just love seeing a relaxed face! How is Jamaica coming? Joy! Jean
Hi Jean,
I think the massage therapist is a great idea!! Well, since the last entry. My volunteer yoga services are no longer needed. There had been a big scare of 900 more or less misread mamograms at one of the local medical hospital branches. I got a call from the local media on the issue since I had done an interview recently concerning health care and what the yoga offered to the cancer patients and survivors. Well, to make a long story short. I went to chat with someone( Director of Community Education) on expanding the yoga to not only once a week but perhaps offering as a hospital program to show the care and concern it provides for its patients wellness. All the Director saw was me trying to do an interview that was not any of my concern. I said it was my responsibility to help others to recognize whose hands they were trusting their wellness to and to question their options. Plus, I was a volunteer not an employee of of the hospital. I was verbally threatened that my volunteer services would not be needed.
One week later the CEO was fired and the program I volunteerd for was no longer going to exist):WOW!!Now, I am picking myself back up and hope to continue my service in another light. I may be relocating.I am always open to expanding and refining my practice. I do have some options and the one option is the Universe always knows what is best...... Jamaica is still simmering on the back burner waiting to be stirred(: If, you have any words of wisdom. You have my attention. Hope things keep moving forward for you as well.
Dear Nina,
Being a strong advocate for cancer patients is obviously not without a 'down' side.
Recently, I was asked if I would broaden my class and entitle it "Special Populations".
Though the class is designed for cancer patients and early recovery, we have never turned down any member of the facility. My intention has been to keep a dedicated space to cancer patients. Two weeks later, the local paper asked to do a story on
our class as part of their wellness/health section. No one has mentioned changing the class. I feel that I am advocating for a specific population that has been very underserved.
One of my dear friends says, "Stick to your mud." She means, to stay put and be true to who you are and what you believe in. You did that. I am sorry that this happened to you. As you said, 'service in another Light', that is what will happen.
You took the initiative to start a program, use love and innovation, cast your Light and taught with your heart....sounds blessed. Thank you for your service to survivors, Jean
Dear Jean,
I thank you from the bottom of my heart and soul that your encouraging words received have given me strength and courage to keep moving forward. Today has been a day to reflect on my divine purpose and knowing that my intention is to share my love, truth, and honor others no matter their or my strifes in life. I loved that class. It gave me such compassion that I knew was in me however what it brought within each and every one of us. I know that I have not walked in each and every other's shoes.Though, we shared a commonality and that space was allowed to share that bond. How can we not allow that to happen between us?Wow! I am not angry or hurt. I am just amazed how we can keep saying our intention is for the greater good in finding a cure and we shut down a class that is making a difference?????? Or, am I becoming delusional in thinking that this is what everyone's true intention is to helping others devotedly in erasing this horrible dis -ease???????Perhaps, I need to shift my focus in how to bring forth my awareness.I know there are those who sojourn towards being a cause and effect for the greater good and I support and believe in marching for that cause. Now, it's being present to it and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of this great organization to share what I do honor. I have been working on a essay with "Women of Worth" sponsored by Loreal.Would'nt it be great if I were able to have my donation given to YogaBears just because of what we share as a whole for the greater good? How deserving that would be............ Thanks Jean I can honestly say you are a true spiritual sister and deeply I can say more than you'll ever know how grateful I am........
Peace and Gratitude,
Nina

RSS

Our Mission

Yoga Bear is a national 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to connecting cancer fighters and survivors with free access to the benefits of healing yoga.

Press

© 2014   Created by Yoga Bear.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service