Who doesn't want to have great posture? Standing tall makes you look taller and more confident. But unfortunately many of us have lousy posture (probably from sitting in front of a computer all day).
I've been focusing my practice on a few poses that are supposed to counteract the tendency to slouch. My favorite of these poses is "half wheel" or "Setu Bandha Sarvangasana". Not only is this a great heart and chest opener, but it's a great stretch for the spine. I always get up from this pose feeling more aware of my back, neck, and shoulders- which leads to better posture.
* Lie flat on your back with your arms along the sides of your body, palms facing down.
* Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor. Walk your heels as close as you can to your bum, and turn your heels out slightly so the outside edges of your feet are parallel with the outside edges of your mat.
* With your palms and feet pressing firmly into the ground, lift your hips up. Try to keep your thighs parallel.
* Stay here, or clasp your hands together below your pelvis, extending through your arms. I like to rock my weight from side to side so that I can pull my shoulders in and bring my shoulder blades closer together.
* Stay here for 5 or more deep breaths. Try to keep lifting the hips up as high as you can, and gaze towards your belly. You can watch to make sure you are doing ujayi breathing correctly. Your stomach should remain still, and you should be able to see your ribs expanding and contracting with each complete breath.
* After you've had enough, gently drop your bum back onto the ground. You can repeat this pose again after taking a break, or stretch through your lower back by hugging your knees into your chest.
(instructions thanks to Fit Sugar)
Does anyone else have good poses to try for better posture?