The modern lifestyle and workloads can make our health deteriorate. Not only our body but our mind also suffers. Practicing lotus pose yoga is our recommended treatment to improve our overall well being.
If you would like to know more about such a simple but helpful sitting meditation, please scroll down the blog for details!
The Bare Essentials Of Lotus Position
What Is Yoga Pose Lotus?
Lotus position, also known as Padmasana, is a cross-legged sitting posture. Its origin comes from India as a way of meditation and yoga.
The sole of the left foot is usually on the right thigh and vice versa. However, there are a lot of variations that we will mention in the other section.
A lotus pose is popular in many cultures and religions, such as Buddha, Hindu, Tantra, etc.
It simulates a lotus in the human body. The image implies a meaningful message: though growing from the mud, a lotus still shows its gorgeous beauty. One of the implications is about human courage and persistence!
Simplicity is its attraction, which makes it ideal for beginners. Yet, it becomes a real challenge for seasoned practitioners to stay in the stance for a long time.
The Benefits Of Sitting Lotus Pose
- Mental Strength
Our minds might suffer from great strains by modernity and hustling lifestyles. Having an appropriate way of relaxation is crucial!
We keep ourselves busy even in our free time. More specifically, we are hungry for instant gratification, so watching entertaining TV shows, chatting on social media, etc., are temporary solutions.
However, our brain endures the overload of information. That is why this simple but helpful sitting position can slow down the pace of living and calm us down!
Combining this posture with slow breathing releases tension and enables our minds to relax. It sounds unreal, but the shifts in our brains are real!
In detail, it helps the parasympathetic system turn on, which means that the relaxation mode is on. Meanwhile, our sympathetic nervous system stops working.
- Physical Strength
A calm and peaceful mind can set the body free.
The circulatory system works more effectively thanks to lower blood pressure. So, it enhances our immune system. The flexibility of our bodies will be an obvious outcome. In addition, sitting lotus position means you have to sit straight. So, it minimizes back pain and tones some organs in the stomach area.
How To Do The Pose (Step-By-Step Instructions)
It looks easy to do. Nonetheless, wrong practices can happen and lead to adverse impacts. For this reason, you should not miss this detailed guideline! The following content covers the steps that you might take.
- Find a comfortable place to sit down in Dandasana. It means you sit straight up with the thighs pressing down while toes are spread.
- Bend your knee and put the foot on the opposite thigh. You can start with the right or left one as long as you find it the most comfortable to do.
- Suppose that you bend the right knee and put its foot on the left thigh. You can complete the setup of this sitting pose with the same actions for the left leg.
- Keep your knees pressing down while the spine is straight.
- Maintain the rhythm of inhales and exhales while doing the pose as long as you feel relaxed.
The ultimate goal of lotus position meditation is to soothe us down. Simply put, we practice it for peace of mind. So, there should be no suffering from any discomfort.
Listen to the responses of your legs. If you find any signs of being stiff, you should release and modify the position. This aspect brings us to its diversification.
If lotus pose meditation is too challenging or easy for you, you can check out other practices below.
- A half lotus pose is easier because you only need to bend one knee and put the foot on its opposite thigh. Meanwhile, the other leg lies down on the ground with its bent knee.
- Coordinate hand movement to level up the difficulty. While sitting in a full yoga pose lotus, you bend your arms around the back and let the hands grab their opposite feet.
These suggestions are two among many other styles. Thus, you do not have to worry about a suitable sitting pose for yoga practice or meditation. The variety liberates from tight selections!
We address the fundamental aspects of practicing lotus pose yoga. You will get coherent instruction on doing the pose and some tips for beginners.
How easy the modification of the pose becomes will define the flexibility of your practice. You can also expand your knowledge about alternatives to a full lotus pose through the blog.