Currently, yoga is a popular practice globally, including various types such as karma, jnana, Hatha, etc. Each type has certain effects and is suitable for each specific group of objects. One of the most popular types of it is yin yoga because it is suitable for most people.
What is yin yoga? What benefits can we gain from it? If you want to have more details about this yoga type, this post is what you need. Let’s scroll down.
What is Yin Yoga? – Yin Yoga Definition
Yin style yoga is pretty passive and relaxing because it requires yogis to hold poses for a long time to increase their inner awareness.
Yin yoga always takes the balance of the body, soul, and mind as the most important thing. Hence, you have to pay attention to the breath, the thought, and the feeling when practicing this subject.
A special feature of this one is the combination of the principles of yin and yang in Chinese medicine. It reflects the harmonious nature of the opposing elements that make up the universe.
Yin means cool, slow, and passive, while yang is warm, fast, and active. People consider meditation to be the essence of this type of yoga, so calmness and lightness are the requirements for practitioners when practicing.
Therefore, it is different from the stimulating and powerful styles found in Vinyasa and Ashtanga.
Benefits Of Yin Yoga
So, what is yin yoga good for? In fact, it brings a lot of both physical health benefits and mental health benefits. Let’s have a closer look at each section below.
Physical Health Advantages
In terms of physical health, it also has outstanding effectiveness for practitioners. First, it aids in enhancing blood circulation to supply organs fully with the oxygen and nutrients needed to function properly.
At the same time, it helps to wash away waste products and increase health. Second, it improves joint mobility. If your job is to often sit in one place and be sedentary, then yin yoga is something you should try.
It supports the connective tissues, be more supple, and your bone health will also be better.
So, does yin yoga tone your body? Yes, certainly! Improving body shape is a great thing that it brings. Practicing poses helps open and strengthen tight areas of the body, such as shoulders and the upper back muscles.
From there, it can make your body get in shape. Apart from that, this discipline can be an effective adjunct therapy for many ailments, including cancer, asthma, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, and fibromyalgia.
Mental Health Advantages
No one can deny the mental health benefits that it brings for practitioners. Many studies show it is very good for your mind. After 5 weeks of regular practice, it can make your worries and stress greatly reduced.
As it promotes relaxation, reduces stress and anxiety, improves circulation, it is also beneficial for the respiratory and nervous systems. In addition, it has good influences on migraines and is a very good support for sleep.
Many people even believe that this discipline can change the worldview, help calm down, and have a more optimistic spirit.
Who Is Suitable For Yin Yoga?
Who is suitable for this type of exercise? With a gentle and calm style, it is appropriate for many people. In particular, it is ideal for those who love gentle, quiet poses and hold stances for a long time.
For this reason, it is a perfect choice for those who want to balance intense sessions or those who are new to yoga. Furthermore, it is also suitable for people being new to injury.
Since this type requires patience, discipline, and perseverance, you need to keep a good spirit. When practicing, you should choose a quiet place to avoid distracting the sessions.
One more thing that you must keep in mind is that this subject will not bring instant results. So, do not expect to improve your physique quickly.
The following groups of people need to consider carefully before deciding whether to practice it or not:
- People who are short-tempered, impatient, and always want good results in a short time.
- People who love fast-paced, like movement, and don’t want to sit still.
- People who cannot concentrate for long periods and do not like silence.
The postures of Yin Yoga
Yin yoga practice has many postures to practice. Depending on the level and time of practice, you can choose the appropriate stance. Here are some common poses:
This pose will widen the hips and relieve back pain. At the same time, it helps your mind and body become comfortable and relaxed. With simple movements, it is very suitable for beginners.
How to do:
- You start in a sitting position.
- Bend the knees and open them to the sides. Then bring your feet forward.
- Fold your torso forward. Relax your neck, shoulders, and spine.
- Hold your feet tight. You can place pillows under your body for support.
- Hold this pose for about 3-5 minutes.
Wide-Kneed Child’s Pose
This stance allows you to direct your attention inward. It stretches your spine, hips, and inner thighs.
How to do:
- Spread a blanket to cushion your knees.
- Place your hands and knees on the floor to form a table pose.
- Extend your knees and slowly press your torso into your inner leg.
- Move your hips toward your heels and lengthen your torso.
- Place your arms along the sides of the body or rest on the head.
- Holds about 3-4 minutes
This pose has a great effect on the waist.
How to do:
- Lie on your back, bend your knees and put your feet on the floor.
- Slowly lift and shift your hips to the right.
- Straighten your legs, place your feet towards the left corner of a carpet, and cross your right foot over your left.
- Try to keep your left hip down and make a banana shape.
- Place your arms above your head, bend your elbows, and lightly grasp your wrists.
- Hold the pose for 4-5 minutes and then repeat with the other side.
See more: What Is Goat Yoga?
After this article, you have had the answer to “what is yin yoga?” and got hold of yin yoga benefits. Moreover, as this type of exercise requires high patience, you should not give up quickly to get the best results.
If you are new to yoga, then this discipline is an experience that you should try. The effects it brings will probably impress you.